The ulu knife has one of the most distinctive designs. And, along with its unique look comes a wide variety of uses. The Alaskan Ulu Knife is a very versatile knife that was originally used to clean and skin animals by Aleut natives.
The best ulu knives these days now are all but exclusively used in the kitchen. They can be used in place of other types of knives for standard cutting of meat, pizza, vegetables, fruits and much, much more.
If you are in the market for a durable, high-quality ulu knife, this article will be of great help. We will shed light on the five best Alaskan ulu knives in the market. After our picks I also added a detailed section that covers the types and uses of ulu knives as well as questions that you might want to ask. This is In addition to a detailed buying guide that will explore the important things to look for when choosing an ulu knife.
Best Ulu Knives – Quick Chart
1. Arctic Circle Alaska Ulu Knife – Our Favorite Ulu Knife
With a stainless steel blade measuring six inches, this is one of the most used and widely preferred Alaskan ulu knives. In addition, this Ulu knife stands out for being aesthetically pleasing. Beauty and durability were built into this knife as it features a crafted etch that will stand the test of time.
The blade, made from stainless steel is resistant to rust and staining. It is reasonably priced and pretty versatile. It will come in handy in the kitchen. This is a knife that will make slicing veggies and meat very easy.
You can use this knife for years only needing to sharpen it when blunt. Maintenance is simple: Wash, rinse, and dry after each use. Click here to see the best price.
2. Ulu Factory Ulu Knife & Bowl Set – Most Durable Ulu Knife
Also, in the list of our best ulu knife is Ulu Factory Ulu Knife & Bowl set. Measuring about five inches, it is a top-quality Alaska Ulu knife with excellent features designed to stand the test of time. It is engraved with the Alaskan Cutlery logo, made in the United States, and features a high quality stainless steel that will surely last many uses.
One of the most durable woods that has been used for knife handles over the year is birch wood. The handle comes with durable and well crafted Birchwood that will stand the test of time. If you need the ideal knife for chopping, this is worth considering.
The bowl complements the blade well, which makes chopping of meat and other food items a pretty easy task. From chocolate to onions to pizza, you can cut whatever you want into the tiniest bit with this Alaskan Ulu knife. It is a knife that is recommended for slicing, chopping, cutting, and dicing. Click here to see the best price.
3. Alaska Ulu Knife & Chopping Bowl Set – Top Pick
The Alaska Ulu Knife & Chopping Bowl Set from Arctic Circle comes with both an Alaskan knife and a cutting block. It features a six inches steel blade that is linked to a wooden handle. The cutting block is a square block measuring eight inches alongside an insert bowl that serves as a stand to hold the knife. This way, storing becomes easy.
The handle gives an optimal grip, which makes it fit for all sorts of tasks in the kitchen. This is in addition to the very sharp stainless steel blade. With a small size, it is suitable for people with smaller hands, giving them the needed control to use the knife.
This is a high-quality material that is strong, sharp, and resistant to wear and rust. This ulu knife is the perfect definition of beauty as it features a beautifully ingrained decoration on the handle and the blade. The cutting bowl is ideal for cheese and small herbs. Click here to see the best price.
4. Alaska Ulu Knife Set With Wood Handle – Customer’s Choice
Made by the Ulu factory, this knife set comes with the Alaska knife, wooden knife stand, and a chopping board. With many features and accessories, it stands out as one of the best ulu knives available in the market. Measuring six inches, it can handle all your cutting, chopping, dicing, and slicing needs. The chopping board comes in an eight inches square shape. There is a wooden stand as well that holds the knife.
Designed in Alaska, it is a product of the Ulu Factory, known for producing high-quality of Ulu knives. The sharp blade is made from premium American stainless steel, which is durable and can take care of all your cutting needs. In addition, the blade is heat-treated to ensure that it withstands all needs.
The wooden handle is comfortable to use and comes with the company logo ingrained on it. This is the perfect knife to handle your chopping, mincing, and slicing needs. Click here to see the best price.
5. Amhoo Multicolored Ulu Knife – Best Combination of Value and Price
Finally, on our list of best ulu knife reviews is Amhoo Multicolored Ulu Knife. This is a high-quality knife that comes with a beautiful design making it suitable for various kitchen needs. The extra-sharp knife makes it suitable to handle different types of food and vegetable items. It also features a wooden store that houses the knife after use.
There is a premium steel blade which can be washed by hand or with a dishwasher. The edge is durable and will stand the test of time. The premium food-grade hardened stainless steel makes it fit to handle and cut every food, fruit, pizza, and vegetable. It looks great and will surely spice up your kitchen.
The wooden handle has been reprocessed to give a robust and durable handle. As a result, the quality will not diminish from heavy use. Click here to see the best price.
Types of Ulu Knives
There are four distinct types of Ulu knives, each named based on their region of origination. This section will shed light on the various types available:
Alaskan Ulu Knife
This is also known as the Inuit ulu knife. It comes with a distinct section that is cut out from the blade. The two ends of the blade are linked to the handle, providing a perfect and robust grip.
Canadian Ulu Knife
Native to the Canadian, it is characterized by a thin stem that joins the handle. It comes in two variants.
- The Eastern Canadian ulu knife has a pointed blade
- The Western Canadian ulu knife has a triangular blade
This Ulu knife comes with an oval knife that is linked to the handle with a thin stem. The handle is small and compact, which is attached to the pointed blade.
This ulu knife features a large and rectangular shaped blade that is linked to a small and curved handle.
To many people, the definition of a knife is that it comes in a rectangular shape with a wooden handle that features a long steel blade. Thanks to innovation, however, there are various types of knives, and one of such is the Ulu knife. If you care about improving your culinary skills, it is essential to get accustomed to an ulu knife.
The ulu knife stands out in that it can be used for a wide variety of purposes. Not only does it help with the traditional cutting and chopping, but it also comes in handy as a tool to skin animals. Back in the Stone Age, they were known as the “woman’s knife.” Back then, it was made of stone. However, these days, the best ulu knives are made with wooden or plastic handles that will stand the test of time.
Many people must have seen this type of knife at the pizza shop. It looks funny because of shape, which gives an impression of being a weapon rather than a household tool. You do not need much effort when cutting with an ulu knife; that is why it is used mainly to cut and slice pizza. As you can imagine, all you have to do is rock the knife back and forth without lifting it, unlike the traditional knife. Then you have your pizza cut. Simple and easy, isn’t it?
An ulu blade is appropriately a slicing machine. Many of the best ulu blades are made from tempered and hardened high carbon stainless steel that is joined to a beveled edge. It can cut easily for many years without the need for sharpening.
This Alaskan ulu knife review is not complete without exploring some vital questions that users might have. As a result, we will explore these questions with the hope that it handles any concerns that you might have.
What is an Ulu Knife?
The Ulu knife is one of the oldest knives that date back to 2500 BC. It is usually known for its simplicity and versatility, making it suitable to handle various cutting operations in the kitchen. All you need to do is rock the knife’s unique curved blade over the vegetable, pizza, fish, or meat, and the knife will slice it effortlessly.
The Alaskan ulu knife is designed such that the middle part carries more force, which allows it to slide effortlessly into hard foods. With its rocking motion, it effortless pins down the item to be cut, making food preparation faster and fun.
Like many other types of knife, it comes in two distinct parts: the blade and the handle.
Better ulu knives have hardwood handles as opposed to the handles made of iron, copper, or slate years back. These days, blades are made made exclusively of steel with either wooden or plastic handles.
The curved blade
The curve of the ulu knife gives it a steady rocking motion. This makes ulu knives the best choice for slicing and cutting in a single motion. The ulu knife is designed such that the handler’s weight is on the handle, which is transferred directly to the blade. This allows effortless cutting of strong and hard objects like bones.
The most common blade size is six-inches. On the smaller end of the spectrum there are blades as small as two inches. Larger ulu knife blades are as long as 12 inches.
What is an Alaskan Knife called?
It is also called a mezzaluna knife or a rocker knife.
How do you clean an Ulu Knife?
To ensure that the ulu knife lasts, it is essential to maintain it by cleaning it after use. Many at times, you can use an Alaskan knife for many years without needing sharpening.
Make sure you wash and rinse the Ulu knife with warm water after use. It must be dried before storage. It is a good idea to avoid soaking the ulu knife in water to prevent the handle from losing its integrity. Also, this is important to prevent mold from growing on the knife handle.
How do you sharpen an Ulu Knife?
To sharpen the blade:
- Hold the Alaskan ulu knife tightly on a table with a clamp. You can hold it with one hand in the absence of a clamp. You should keep the ulu knife down such that the handle sits comfortably on the table, and the blade protrudes. Clamp or hold it firmly to prevent disruption while sharpening.
- You can use diamond-coated steel, a file, or a whetstone as a sharpener. Run it up and down the length of the blade. The up and down movement should be gentle until you can comfortably pick up the pace.
- Move the sharpener along the blunt cut to sharpen the blade. Be careful, however, as ulu blades during manufacturing are sharpened in a specific direction. It is essential to stick to this direction while sharpening the blade. All you need to do is move the sharpener along the edge until the face of the blade is shiny and sharp to touch.
- When you are done with that direction, change the direction and sharpen the other side of the blade. Make sure it is well clamped before you start sharpening. Now repeat the entire process for this new side.
What is an Ulu Knife used for?
The ulu knife can be used for many things. It is an impressive and versatile kitchen tool that handles all sorts of cutting like meat, fish, poultry, fruits, vegetables, cheese, and so on. It is because of the rocking motion peculiar to the ulu knife that gives an effortless cut, making it versatile.
Traditionally, they were used both as a kitchen utensil and for industrial use. They use it for skinning animals, slicing and cutting of food, cutting hair and trimming blocks of ice and snows.
Ulu knives are used for cutting, mincing, dicing, and slicing. It finds application in both local and commercial kitchens. Fisherman and hunters use the ulu knife to skin animals. They also use it dress small and large games. They use it to clean and fillet fishes as well.
One of the most distinguishing features of the ulu knife is that you can use it comfortably with one hand. As a result, disabled people with one hand or people suffering from wrist pain, arthritis, nerve disorder, and other conditions can use it.
What Is the Ulu Knife Made of?
Most Ulu knives are created with a stainless steel blade. Their handles are constructed with hardwood or caribou antlers. There are also commercial ulu knives with durable and strong plastic handles, and they are usually combined with a board or a cutting bowl. It has a rocking-like movement when in use, thanks to the curvature of the blade. The rocking-like movement makes users slice and chops whatever item they want with ease. Your hand on the knife’s handle and how you place it adds to the pressure. This is especially beneficial when you want to cut through foods that are stronger. The majority of ulu knives are available in 6-inch blades while there are other smaller knives of 2-inches and much larger ones of 12-inches. They are all designed to be used for different purposes.
Choosing the best and most appropriate ulu knife is very important as it can make your job easier and make challenging cutting smooth.
We made sure to consider customer experience and user rating before making our selection. As a result, whatever your line of work, you will find this ulu knife helpful. Both commercial applications and household use will find the Alaska ulu knife helpful.
We hope this best Alaskan ulu knife review will guide you to choosing the best and most appropriate one for your use.
Top Selling Ulu Knives
- Dimensions: This Alaskan ulu knife has an overall blade length of 5.5 inches and overall knife width is 4 inches with a 4.5-inch handle and 3mm thickness.
- Curved Blade: The long crescent-shaped blade on this ulu knife is made from very high-quality stainless steel that is treated for edge retention, and resistance to rust and corrosion to ensure long term durability and use.
- ✅ High Quality Ulu Knife 1️⃣This 6 inch Alaskan Ulu Knife has boasts unrevealed performance and incredible edge retention. Handle's material is natural wood. Sharp blade is forged. 2️⃣This knife is an excellent choice when it comes to skinning,Mincing, Slicing Meat & Herb Knife. 3️⃣It's Comes With A Complimentary High Grade Leather Sheath To Ensure that Your Knife Is Well protected and allows you to securely and safely carry the knife around.
- ✅ MULTI PURPOSE KNIFE: - HERBS or PIZZA CUTTER-SLICING - MINCING & DICING SKINNING- GUTTING- CUTTING: The professional Chef Knife can easily handle your daily kitchen tasks - designed for , slicing - mincing and dicing of fruit - vegetables and meat.It is very easy for you to crush food like garlic - ginger and tomato - etc etc. Makes you enjoy the kitchen life and experience endless fun- best gift for your family and friends.
- 【Useful Tool】: MiuCYS Mezzaluna Rocking Knife makes quick work of mincing garlic and herbs, chopping salad vegetables, fruits, meats, cutting pizza, and more. Rock blade side-to-side to chop tender items; Move up-and-down to chop larger and harder items.
- 【One Hand Operate】: A stainless steel blade sharpened on only one side in traditional Alaska Native fashion! Very sharp. Compact size 5x4in, conveniently operate by one hand. Friendly to some arthritics.
- Easy to use rocking knife even for people with arthritis
- 6 inch 440 Stainless Steel Blade